Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Homemade - Part 1

Ever since I moved away from Nebraska, I have been wanting to make one of my most favorite things in the whole world...Runza's! Now that I say the word out loud, the name sounds a little ridiculous...but these hot sandwiches are far from it! I found the recipe online, and you MUST make it! Even if you or someone says they don't like cabbage...they will love it in here! After all these years of thinking he wouldn't like these, my husband is in love. 

 
This isn't my made-up recipe, I found it online...I did season the meat more than it called for, and added cheese...these are the best! The bread is so delicious, I think I will now use it for pizza crust. These little guys are so diverse, you could literally put anything in them! Pizza fillings, ham and cheese, veggies, whatever! I froze over half of mine, and they were just as good microwaved for 2 minutes! I am super excited about that, because with baby coming, I am trying to find good recipes that I can make ahead of time and freeze.
Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup sugar
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
FILLING:
1 pound lean ground beef
2 small onions, chopped
4 cups chopped cabbage
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions:
1. In a large mixing bowl, place 1-3/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Heat milk, water and shortening to 120 degrees F-130 degrees F. Pour over flour mixture; add the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low until blended. Beat 3 additional minutes on high. Stir in the remaining flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, brown beef and onions in a skillet. Add the cabbage, salt and pepper; cook until cabbage is wilted. Punch dough down; roll into 12/6-in. squares. Top each square with 1/3 cup meat mixture. Fold into triangles. Pinch edges tightly to seal and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.

4 comments:

summer said...

i was JUST thinking about trying these again, mary! this is perfect. wouldn't the filling be so good over rice, too?!

Anneliese said...

thanks for posting this! can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

yay! thanks for the recipe! my family moved from papillion after 6th grade and i've been missing runza ever since : )

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, note to self: don't read mary's blog when hungry. this looks so yummy!

Post a Comment